Once completed, the Scenic Rim Regional Food Strategy will incorporate a number of key activities to develop a local food system that facilitates the trade of locally produced food to meet ever growing demand.
It is expected that these activities will assist the Scenic Rim to further become a destination that offers visitors a range of authentic experiences and connections to the region’s fresh and value added food systems.
By fully utilising the Scenic Rim Regional Food Strategy it is expected we will:
- Identify opportunities to increase the variety and supply of quality fresh and value added food from the Scenic Rim;
- Establish a local food supply chain that will support trading relationships between sectors;
- Build demand for local food within the region from local residents and visitors;
- Facilitate development of authentic local food tourism and AgriTourism enterprises and experiences;
- Raise the region’s profile for both regional food and tourism by establishing common branding and marketing programs between both sectors.
The benefits of this approach are:
- Agricultural and food industry development by increasing demand for agricultural production, attracting investment in agribusiness by creating viable high yield markets locally;
- Regional development by supporting diversification with options for value adding and export;
- Local economic development by increasing the use of local food and replacing food imported from other regions;
- Tourism development by increasing the product and experience offerings available for visitors aiming to improve the appeal of the destination, duration of stay and expenditure;
- Community health and sustainability by making fresh local food accessible with reduced food miles and carbon emissions.